Originally Etruscan, it was then held by the Romans and subsequently came under the dominion of the Aldobrandeschi family, of Orvieto, of the Orsini family and, lastly, of the Republic of Siena. Today Orbetello is an important tourist center in the middle of the Costa Argento. It rises in the center of the lagoon by the same name and is joined to Argentario Mountain by a road built on an artificial embankment, commonly known as “the dike”, which divides the lagoon into two bodies of water (Eastern Lagoon and Western Lagoon).
The territory of the town of Orbetello is extremely varied: the damp lagoon area is separated from the sea by two dunes (the Feniglia Dune and the Giannella Dune) which are characterized by long sandy beaches, pinewoods and Mediterranean scrub, whereas, near the Talamone and Ansedonia ranges, the coast becomes rocky.
Town of Orbetello
The most significant buildings in the old town center are the Cathedral, situated near the main street, the Palazzo of the Chief Magistrate in Piazza Eroe dei due Mondi and the Walls, with their old city gates.
The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is the main church, originally built upon the remains of an Etruscan/Roman temple, it was rebuilt in 1375 in the Gothic/Tuscan style.